Learn the basics of surf ski paddling in this 3.5 hour introductory lesson and create a solid foundation for your future fun, fitness, and safety!
Our Friday afternoon surf ski intro includes the core skills and knowledge that you need to paddle safely:
- Surf ski overview
- Surf ski selection
- Equipment and Safety Overview
- Paddle selection
- Getting in and out
- Forward Stroke
- Sweep Strokes
- Draw Strokes
- Low Brace / Trailing Low Brace
- Rafting Up
- Assisted Rescues
- Self Rescue Introduction
$75 per person without surf ski and paddle rental;
$175 per person with surf ski and paddle rental.
Course is limited to 4 participants total, and 2 surf ski/paddle rentals. We hope to have more boats available for rental soon!
DATES AND LOCATION
Every Friday afternoon from 1:30pm to 5:00pm.
Founders Landing by the Rowing Clubhouse / overlook deck, Lower Harbor, Marquette, Michigan.
No prior surf ski experience is needed! Prior sea kayak experience in open water is encouraged, but also not required.
Equipment: Come dressed for the water. Swimsuits are okay, but wetsuits are recommended. If you have a PFD / Lifejacket, bring it with you. We have limited PFDs for paddlers to borrow. You MUST be wearing a PFD at all times when on the water.
ACA Membership: This course is fully insured by the American Canoe Association (ACA) and requires that all participants be ACA members. If you do not have an ACA membership, a temporary, event-only membership can be purchased for $5.
Essential Eligibility Criteria: In order to participate in an ACA Skills Course, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the course outline while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other course participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Jeremy Vore, the Great Lakes Epic Expert and an ACA Level 4 Open Water Kayak Instructor, has been paddling for over 20 years and instructing for over 18. He embraces and promotes all paddlesports and takes full advantage of his professional background as an instructional designer and human communication expert.